Jazzmin Walters giving Titans great vibes
February 14, 2002

By JamiFrankenberry
The Virginian-Pilot

The e-mails arrive twice a week, about 5 a.m. Saudi Arabia time.

Mustafa Walters, bleary eyed after another sleepless night, trudges to the computer in his three-bedroom home in Jubail, along the Saudi east coast.

A former Navy engineer now working as a contractor, Mustafa is due at work at 6:30 a.m. But he's always anxious for an update on daughters Jazzmin and Porsche and their Lake Taylor High School basketball team.

``I can't sleep waiting for the report,'' Mustafa says. ``I tell them, `Send me anything, just one line, so I can go to work and not worry about what I'm missing.' ''

What's he missing? Perhaps the most successful season in Lake Taylor girls basketball history.

The Titans -- led by dazzling point guard Jazzmin and a talented supporting cast that includes older sister Porsche -- are 17-1 and ranked fifth in South Hampton Roads. They clinched their first regular-season Eastern District title since 1994 with a victory Tuesday over Booker T. Washington.

Porsche averages 4.5 points a game while her little sister has taken the Eastern District by storm. Jazzmin, a 4-foot-11 freshman, averages 18.2 points, 6.6 assists and 6.3 steals per game.

``She's just phenomenal, man,'' Wilson coach Roger Smith says. p> Mustafa Walters should've seen this coming.

His youngest daughter -- named Jazzmin as a tribute to jazz favorites Miles Davis and Freddie Hubbard -- wanted to shoot hoops the minute she saw her three older brothers playing at a Norfolk rec center. A skeptical Mustafa, himself just 5-foot-4, looked his tiny daughter up and down.

``If you want to play this game,'' he told her, ``there's only one position you can play.''

Point guard.

While Porsche, two years older, split her time between basketball, track and field hockey, Jazzmin concentrated on becoming a point guard. Her dad coached Jazzmin's first AAU team and saw plenty of potential.

``She had raw ability,'' Mustafa says. ``She couldn't shoot or dribble, but defensively she got after people. She just consistently improved.''

Says Jazzmin: ``I just worked on my all-around game all the time.''

Older brother Micaiah helped.

Jazzmin calls him her ``personal coach,'' and the two often play pickup games at a neighborhood or rec-center court. Micaiah has had a front-row seat for Jazzmin's development, sometimes at the expense of his own friends.

``Playing against older, stronger guys most of the time, that's what really helped her,'' Micaiah says. ``She used to miss layups all the time, and I used to get on her about that. She didn't want to hear my mouth, so she started working on them and making those layups.''

Jazzmin was making considerably more than layups by the time she reached Lake Taylor Middle School. By then Jazzmin was a bona fide sensation. As an eighth-grader she played for Lake Taylor High's junior varsity and averaged 30 points per game.

``Everybody was talking about me coming to Lake Taylor (High) and turning Lake Taylor around,'' Jazzmin says.

She has done just that, benefiting from first-year coach Saundra Sawyer's full-court press and high-octane offense, which stresses fast breaks, 3-pointers and more fast breaks.

The Titans, who finished 7-9 last season, are a track team in high-tops, featuring starters Jazzmin, Porsche (yes, after the car) reigning Eastern District 100-meter champ Aisha Taylor, Sheena Holloway and Kim Westray.

Sawyer became Lake Taylor's coach last June, and after watching the Titans during a summer league decided to scrap her no-frills motion offense for one that's a bit faster.

``We found out we were able to run on a lot of teams,'' says Sawyer, whose team led South Hampton Roads in 3-pointers with 81 before Tuesday's game. The offense ``is pretty much geared toward Jazz. She's very unselfish; she sees the floor better than I do. A lot of times we like to push it, and if it's not there she knows what to do.''

Jazzmin has thrived under Sawyer, scoring in double figures in all but one game this season and pouring in a season-high 30 against Norview. She's undoubtedly the Titans' floor general, although she's not exempt from normal freshmen duties, which include carrying water bottles to the team bus. Her teammates, including Porsche, a junior who is a second-team All-Eastern District field hockey performer, have welcomed her.

``I don't feel like a freshman on the court,'' Jazzmin says. ``If I know we're playing a good team I get a little nervous, but once tip-off comes I'm OK.''

Wilson guard T.J. Jordan has paid special attention to her friend Jazzmin's freshman season. Jordan, who played AAU ball with Jazzmin three years ago, was last season's Eastern District sensation. She led South Hampton Roads in scoring as a freshman and is averaging 20.9 this season.

``In a way there's a lot of pressure,'' Jordan says. ``You don't want everybody to think, `Can she really be the leader of the team as a freshman?' She's earning that respect.''

Jazzmin had 28 points against Churchland last Friday.

``When she's got the ball in her hands, she makes things happen,'' Churchland coach Duke Conrad says. ``She's got speed, she's got agility, she's got court vision. All she has to do is sharpen all of those. She has a chance to become the best player to come out of (the Eastern District) in a while.''

A new fan showed up Friday at Churchland during the second half.

Mustafa Walters, after nearly 20 hours in the air from Saudi Arabia, found a seat near the action and waved to his two daughters.

It was the first time he had seen Jazzmin in a varsity game. Mustafa, who returns to Norfolk two or three times a year and expects to move back for good in 2004, is scheduled to stay until late this month.

After Friday's game, Mustafa got more than an e-mail.

``I got hugs and kisses,'' he says. ``That's immensely better

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.