Bruins Gut Out Victory
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
January 26, 2001

Annandale, VA - With starting point guard Bobby Seigle sidelined because of a stomach ailment, Lake Braddock's players were aware it would take an inspired effort to secure their first road win of the season Friday night on Patriot District rival Annandale's home court.

Led by seniors Derek Oliverio and Bob Ritchie, the Bruins got such an effort and held on for a 72-61 win over the Atoms. Lake Braddock improved to 9-6, 4-3 in the district. Annandale dropped to 8-8, 2-5.

``So far this season, we hadn't really played with the spirit and intensity that we've needed," said Ritchie, who finished with team highs of 20 points and 10 rebounds. ``But with [Seigle] out, we knew it was a do-or-die situation and we were going to have to make all the hustle plays."

Two fourth-quarter hustle plays in particular keyed the Bruins' winning effort. Annandale senior guard Jay Athey (game-high 23 points) led the Atoms on an 8-0 run that cut a 13-point Lake Braddock lead to 50-45 and the Atoms appeared to force a turnover when Oliverio dribbled the ball off a defender's foot and into the backcourt. But Oliverio dove for the loose ball between two Atoms and knocked it into the hands of Lake Braddock's Max Sinthorntham. The senior forward rifled a length of the court pass to Ritchie, whose dunk gave the Bruins a 52-45 lead.

On the next possession, it was Ritchie's turn to hit the floor and fight for a loose ball. After gaining possession, Ritchie passed to a wide-open Woody Bellamy, who was streaking to the basket. Bellamy (13 points) missed the layin, but Oliverio snared the rebound and scored to give the Bruins a nine-point cushion.

``This was the first time this season we played with a mentality that we had to go out and steal a game," Lake Braddock coach Brian Metress said. ``With Seigle out, the guys just had the motivation to get it done."

Oliverio, who was bothered all week by lower back pain and received treatment before the game, spent a majority of the contest filling in for Seigle at point guard. It's a familiar spot for Oliverio, who was moved to small forward this season after serving as the starting point guard last season. He showed no signs of rust while running the team and dished out a team-high seven assists to go along with 12 points.

``I liked very much being back at the point," Oliverio said. ``It's a position I'm comfortable with and I had confidence I would be able to step up and get the job done."

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.