Lee's buzzer-beater lifts Hawks over Titans
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
January 21, 2002

Alexandria, VA - For the second straight season, Hayfield brought a 13-0 record into ``The Garden," the home of Patriot District rival T.C. Williams.

While the Hawks walked off the court disappointed last year, Friday night brought elation for No. 2 Hayfield as its one returning starter from a season ago - junior guard Mike Lee - sank a six-foot runner with less than a second remaining to earn the Hawks a 55-54 win.

``I told [teammate A.J. Fitzgerald], `This is a game for players and I'm going to prove that I'm a player so if I touch the ball I'm going to shoot'" Lee said. ``I got the ball and I wasn't open at first so I just kicked it out. When I got it back I just told myself in my mind, `This is it, you're either a player or not.' Even though I was struggling, I still had to come through for the team."

With the victory, Hayfield (14-0, 5-0) is now in sole possession of first place in the district. T.C. Williams (7-6, 4-1) now occupies second place.

Lee's game-winner capped a miraculous comeback for the Hawks. After senior guard Chris Kardelis (11 points, four steals) made a three-pointer to give Hayfield an early 11-8 lead, the youthful Titans took control of the game and crafted a dominant 28-6 run over the last 3 minutes, 33 seconds of the first quarter and opening 5:35 of the second quarter to take a 34-17 lead.

But keyed by its defense and the steady inside play of junior forward Jahmar Claxton, who posted game highs of 19 points and 13 rebounds, Hayfield finished the half on an 8-0 run and went into the locker room down 34-25.

Despite an off night by leading scorer James Steward, who entered the game averaging 16.1 points but was held to 10, the Hawks were able to whittle away at the Titans' lead. A pair of Claxton free throws cut it to 48-46 and Lee's first field goal of the game tied the game at 48 with 2:18 left in the fourth quarter.

Steward's long three-pointer then gave Hayfield its first lead in over 25:28 at 51-49.

Fifty-two seconds later, junior guard Maurice Sumpter's three-pointer gave the Titans a 52-51 advantage and the lead grew to 54-51 on two free throws. But T.C. Williams shot just 4-for-10 from the free throw line in the last 2:34, leaving the door open for Hayfield.

With 10.6 seconds left, Claxton scored on a feed from Lee to bring the Hawks within one.

``James was struggling so I knew somebody had to step it up," Claxton said. ``My teammates were driving to the hole and they saw I was open so they were passing it to me."

T.C. Williams was then unable to inbound the ball, giving Hayfield possession under the Titans' basket. The Hawks nearly turned the ball over twice before Lee split a pair of defenders, slashed to the basket and released the game-winner that swished through the net with less than second remaining.

``It's outrageous, it's beyond explanation," said Lee, who entered the game averaging 11.9 points but finished with just four points. ``It's like when you're a little kid on Christmas and you get your favorite toy. That's all I wanted was my team to win, and when you're the one that makes your team win, that's all you can ask for."

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.