Clarke keys Chantilly's 13th victory
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
January 16, 2001

Chantilly, VA - After No. 2 Chantilly's thrilling 64-62 victory over visiting Concorde District rival South Lakes Tuesday night, the Chargers' student section mobbed the court and hoisted Chris Clarke in the air - with good reason.

Chantilly's junior point guard scored a game-high 32 points and made two free throws with 1.6 seconds left to keep the Chargers unbeaten at 13-0, 4-0 in the district, and break the school record for victories to open a season.

``You always watch it in the movies where you see something like that going on and it's a cool feeling when you see it," Clarke said of his ride off the court on a throng of students. ``But you never really understand it until it happens to you."

Clarke's fourth-quarter performance was certainly worthy of the crowd's passionate response. When Chantilly guard and leading scorer Will Hicks drew his fourth foul and headed to the bench with 4 minutes, 51 seconds remaining and the score tied at 49, the situation appeared bleak for the Chargers.

Matters worsened for Chantilly on the ensuing possession when South Lakes junior guard Anthony Lansdowne (16 points) hit a three-pointer to give the Seahawks a 52-49 lead. But Clarke had an answer. In fact, he had several.

Clarke proceeded to knock down three 3-pointers over a 56-second span and put Chantilly ahead, 58-52. Each long-range shot was more difficult than the previous one, and the sound level in the Chargers' gym reached a deafening level when Clarke pulled up from 22 feet to cap the barrage.

``We were struggling as a team offensively," Clarke said. ``So when Will went out I just knew I had to take over the game. The first one was a tough shot and I made it so that gave me ultimate confidence for the next two."

Hicks, who finished with 15 points, buried his head in his hands when he went to the bench with his fourth foul. By the time Clarke's third 3-pointers swished through the net, Hicks had transformed into a fan and was waving a towel over his head.

``That took so much pressure off me," Hicks said. ``I'm glad Chris is on my team because I don't think I could do it all by myself."

South Lakes (8-4, 4-1) mounted a late comeback, however, and Lansdowne's two free throws tied the game at 62 with 27.9 seconds left.

Chantilly held for the final shot and Clarke drove to the basket before stopping just inside the foul line and pulling up while sandwiched between two defenders. South Lakes junior forward Bobby Burns appeared to block Clarke's shot, but a foul was called and Clarke's free throws with 1.6 seconds left provided the margin of victory.

``I think it was a play on and I didn't see a foul," South Lakes coach Wendell Byrd said. ``You don't want to complain about officiating but it looked like two officials were going to play on and one official was going to call it. We felt it was a bad call. Right before that, we had the same situation in front of our bench and had a no call."

Said Clarke: ``On that possession, I was getting pushed before that out on the perimeter so it was at least a makeup call. I was surprised at the call but I was surprised I wasn't getting the call out on the perimeter before that because I was getting pushed so much."

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.