Starr Karl revamped Wildcats
Steve King
Journal Staff Writer
December 26, 2001

Immediately after Centreville lost in the 2000 Group AAA state tournament semifinals, Wildcats coach Starr Karl knew she had a daunting task ahead of her.

With eight of 11 starters from the Wildcats' first Northern Region championship graduating, Karl wondered how her team could possibly compete for another region title in 2001.

Refusing to give up hope, however, Karl quickly set about preparing a young, inexperienced team for what she hoped would be another run at a region title. Almost 12 months later, Karl's faith and hard work paid off, as the Wildcats once again celebrated victory after the Northern Region title game.

Karl had taken her only three returning starters - forward Kate Gosnell, midfielder Shannon Karl and defender Michelle LaForce - and built a team that did not lose a game against Northern Region competition this season.

The Wildcats finished with an 18-3 record, winning their fourth straight Concorde District title and repeating as region champions.

For this, Karl is the 2001 Journal Coach of the Year.

``I knew that we were going to probably struggle [early]," Karl said. ``And I knew that to be successful, those three kids had to bring the rest of the team up to their skill level. That's what ended up happening. The girls learned to communicate and they gained confidence in each other."

It wasn't easy. Two early losses to Virginia Beach-area schools left Centreville with a 3-2 record. But Karl said the setbacks also focused the team, and the Wildcats then won their next 15 games - including another epic showdown with previously undefeated Lake Braddock in the Northern Region Tournament semifinals.

In that game, Centreville was outplayed for most of regulation. Yet, in the face of a relentless Bruins attack, the Wildcats held on, and kept Lake Braddock off the scoreboard. A dramatic goal by LaForce in overtime finally sealed the victory for the Wildcats, who went on to defeat McLean in the championship.

``They knew they had to win that game to advance to the state tournament," Karl said of the victory over the Bruins. ``We got dealt a bad hand in that we had to play [Lake Braddock] in the semifinals. But you have to overcome those obstacles. The girls never gave up, and the leadership out on the field just kept them going."

With her daughter, Shannon, graduating this year, Starr Karl said she briefly considered retiring after the season. In 19 years of coaching at Fairfax and Centreville, she has won 17 district and four region titles. But after some reflecting, she said she would be surprised if she didn't return to the sideline for a 20th season.

``I love challenges," Karl said. ``I knew this year would be a challenge, and next year will be a challenge. I'm not ready to give it up, it's my passion."

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.