Chandler declares for NBA Draft
Christopher Lawlor
USA Today
March 27 2001

Tyson Chandler, a 7-foot, 220-pound center at Dominguez High (Compton, Calif.), said Tuesday that he will bypass college and enter the June 27 NBA draft.

"After Sacramento (where Dominguez won the state Division II title last weekend), it was no surprise he was going pro," Dominguez interim coach Steve Singleton said.

Chandler averaged 26 points, 15 rebounds and eight blocked shots for the Dons (31-4) but missed the final two games — including their state championship — because of an ankle injury.

"I've known what I was going to do for a while, but if I had announced this decision a long time ago, it would have made it harder on my teammates," Chandler told the Long Beach Press-Telegram.

"I'm very satisfied with the decision. My life is basketball. This is something I've been dreaming of for a long time, and now I can actually play the sport full time."

Game Highlights of Chandler

Catches a pass and throws it down in Nike Global Challenge
Huge Block in Nike Peach Jam semi-finals
Huge Dunk against De La Salle in Nike Extravaganza
Dunking in Boo Williams Championship game
On the recieving end of an alley-oop
Rebound and Dunk in Nike Global Challenge
Another Huge Block in Nike Peach Jam semi-finals

Some projections have Chandler as the No. 1 pick in the June draft, but others have him ranked behind three other high school players: 6-8 Kwame Brown of Glynn Academy (Brunswick, Ga.), 6-11 Eddie Curry of Thornwood (South Holland, Ill.) and 7-0 DeSagana Diop of Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Va.), should they opt for the draft.

In the last five years, 12 high school players have entered the NBA draft.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.