RICK THOMAS, Lake Taylor Softball Coach

Bob Killen
SportsCombine
March 27 2001

Rick Thomas is not your typical high school softball coach. He is driven to succeed and his philosophy is one built on motivation.

Rick Thomas started coaching over twenty years ago in recreational programs. He spent over 20 years teaching boys and girls before moving on to Lake Taylor High School. Thomas is beginning his fourth year of coaching at Lake Taylor. Thomas took over a JV program that had never won more than two games in the previous two years. In Thomas’s first year his team was 8-6, in his second year his team was 9-5 and his final year, before taking over varsity, his team was 7-7.

Coach Thomas is excited about this years team that returns nine members of last year’s squad. Lake Taylor has one of the hardest conditioning programs in the area. Prior to throwing softballs, his girls learn weight training, proper nutrition and speed training. His experience and knowledge of fitness and training is second to none. Thomas conducts camps in the off-season and has attended several coaching clinics held by professional athletes and motivational speakers, including big name players such as Cal Ripken, Jr., Dave Winfield and Jimmy Johnson. Thomas is a firm believer that motivation and hard work is the key to success. “One of the greatest interviews I ever heard was done with Pete Rose”. When the interviewer asked him “What was the difference in coaching the Cincinnati Reds and his son’s pony league team?” Rose’s response was “absolutely nothing. They both have to be motivated.”

Rick Thomas leads by example. His typical day begins at 4:15 a.m. every morning when he and his wife, Glenda, go through their daily workouts. After breakfast, Mr.Thomas drives to work where he is a disciplinarian at Chesapeake Bay Academy, a small private school in Virginia Beach. “The support I receive from Head of School, Maryanne Dukas and Athletic Director Russell Flynn are vital elements to my continued success.” says Thomas. “If it weren’t for their support, I would not be able to coach at Lake Taylor High School in the afternoon.” But, it doesn’t stop there. Three times each week, after practice, Coach Thomas continues his education by working towards a Bachelor’s Degree in Marketing.

Coach Thomas is very devoted to his sport. During the off-season he trains local athletes. “I always make time to show a kid how to play a sport that I so dearly love.” Thomas always finds ways of communicating encouragement to his players. He changes his voice mail on his pager weekly “so that girls can call and receive a word of encouragement in their lives during softball or any other season.”

Lake Taylor is very fortunate to have Rick Thomas as a member of the “Titan Family”. A person who loves to challenge and motivate young minds. Yes, Coach Thomas wants to win and be successful on the field, but the wins and losses pale in comparison to the success he brings to those lives he touches daily.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.