Play-offs kick off Friday
Chris Bubeck
Journal Staff Writer
November 13, 2001

Woodbridge, VA - Hylton couldn't enter the playoffs this season in much more of an opposite fashion than they started last postseason.

Click here to check out some more great pictures of Hylton in action in their photo gallery

In 2000, the Bulldogs had to make the long trip to George Washington-Danville in the first round, they were coming of an emotional loss and their roster was depleted by injuries.

This year, Hylton will host Brooke Point in the first round Friday, is 10-0 and the team has players returning from injuries instead of vice-versa.

"I'm glad to have some of my players coming back instead of the opposite," said coach Bill Brown, who will try to lead his team to another Division 6 state title after Hylton's streak of two straight was ended in the state semifinals last year.

Hylton, ranked No. 2 in the latest Associated Press Group AAA poll, is one of two area football teams that starts the road to the state title at home, while another two head to the road Friday.

VHSL Football Tournaments

The Bulldogs host Brooke Point (6-4) in one Division 6 Northwest Region semifinal and Gar-Field (8-2) travels to George Washington (9-1) in the other.

Potomac (8-2) opens up at home in the Division 5 Northwest Region semifinals against Cave Spring (8-2). The winner will meet the winner of the other semifinal between Culpeper (8-1) and North Stafford (6-3).

"It's nice not to have to travel this week, especially a five-hour bus ride," Potomac coach Ben Stutler said.

Manassas Park ended a playoff drought but the task won't be easy as the Cougars (6-4) travel to face Strasburg (10-0), the top-ranked Group A team in the state.

Manassas Park has Strasburg to thank for the Division 1 Region B berth, because the Rams knocked off George Mason on Saturday, sealing up the berth for the Cougars.

First-year Gar-Field coach Jim Poythress said he is not that concerned about the long trip to Danville.

"I don't get too concerned about things I can't control," he said. "I think if they're focused and they approach it as a business trip and not a pleasure cruise, we'll be fine."

Poythress is concerned about the team he will be opposing. The Eagles, ranked No. 10 in the Group AAA poll, have a talented option quarterback and a speedy backfield that includes a state champion in the 200 meter dash.

The Eagles also have a strong defense, anchored by 6-foot-4, 310-pound tackle Chris McDuffie. Linebacker Clinton Gee and safety Bradford DeShazor - the only two-way starter - have also caught Poythress' eye from tape he has watched.

"It looks to me like they're a team with a lot of speed," he said. "They look to be a very well-coached football team."

Poythress said his team is in good shape health-wise as is Hylton, which is in stark contrast to last season.

The Bulldogs had to turn to their fourth-string quarterback to pull out the win at Danville last season but are in much better shape this time around.

Lineman Jono Petrovitch returned to the field in Friday's 27-0 win over Forest Park, his first game action since suffering a high ankle sprain midway through the season.

He was limited to duty on the offensive line and his return should help against a Brooke Point defensive line that has impressed Brown.

"You take him for granted until you don't have him," Brown said of the junior.

Senior Rashaun Downing practiced Monday for the first time since suffering a dislocated elbow in the fourth game of the season.

Downing was the starting quarterback at the beginning of the season but will be limited to defensive back duties Friday, Brown said.

Potomac also has its share of injuries, with several of them being to key players.

Lineman Keenan Carter missed practice Monday with an illness, but Stutler said he should be ready to go on Friday. Dominikke Clarke, a starter at offensive tackle and defensive end, is questionable with back and shoulder injuries.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.