Cougars see the light of Day
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
December 2, 2002

Pat Day knew what he was facing: A lifetime of questions, regret and heartache.

Oakton's two-way star was drenched in mud and sweat, the No. 1 on his once-pristine white jersey barely recognizable, as the dream turned into a nightmare. Day's two fourth-quarter fumbles and a Robinson touchdown pass that sailed just over Day's outstretched arms with less than four minutes remaining seemed to seal a Rams come-from-behind victory in Saturday's Northern Region Division 6 title game on Robinson's home field.

But Day opted to shun the frustration and lead an improbable, nine-play, 72-yard drive capped by his 24-yard touchdown scramble with 51 seconds left that earned No. 2 Oakton a 31-29 win over No. 1 Robinson and the first region title in school history.

``I thought, `Am I going to think about that for the rest of my life, those two fumbles in the second half and how we could have won and gone on to states,?'" said Day, who rushed for 87 yards and three touchdowns. ``So I knew I didn't want to live like that and we had to get one more big play."

Day tasted more than redemption. The diminutive standout - who played nearly the entire game at quarterback, safety and on special teams - became an instant folk hero whose name will come alive each time eyes focus on the region title banner soon to hang proudly in Oakton's gym.

``[Day] was the difference in the game. He was a thorn in our side and that touchdown at the end killed us. We were trying to key on him but obviously it didn't work and he had an outstanding game," Robinson All-Journal defensive tackle Adam Fassnacht said. ``Oakton deserved [to win]. They outplayed us. It's as simple as that. I guess they were just more prepared and more ready to go and they took it to us. We were lucky we only lost by two."

Long the team to threaten traditional Northern Region powers only to come up short, Oakton (9-3) will host Western Branch (12-0), the Eastern Region champion, in a Group AAA, Division 6 state semifinal next Saturday at 1 p.m.

``We've always been one step short," Day said. ``But what we said before the game was: finish. We had to finish the job."

``I'm speechless, I'm in shock right now," Cougars All-Journal linebacker Danny Prentice said on the field after the game, paraphrasing the emotions of the Oakton faithful.

Robinson (11-1), the defending state champion, entered the region final on a 17-game winning streak and early indications were the run would continue. Rams senior running back Chase Anastasio (107 rushing yards, 71 receiving yards, three total touchdowns) burst over left tackle and rushed 76 yards for a touchdown on Robinson's initial play from scrimmage.

Oakton's first two possessions produced no first downs and two punts.

Midway through the first quarter, Oakton's defense gained control. Cougars junior linebacker Quinn Cooke's third-down sack of Rams junior quarterback Andy Hartigan at the Rams 7 forced senior John Kinzer to punt from deep in his own end zone.

Cougars senior wide receiver Dan Phipps returned the punt to the Robinson 16 and three plays later, Day ran 14 yards for a touchdown on 3rd-and-8 to tie the score.

Robinson answered, going 79 yards on 11 plays, the last of which was a 13-yard scoring strike from Hartigan to Anastasio that put the Rams ahead, 14-7. Two completions to tight end Kinzer totaling 34 yards keyed the go-ahead march.

Oakton's offense, which consistently moved the ball against Robinson better than any team had previously this season, tied the score with 8:16 left in the first half on senior running back John Pettiford's 47-yard touchdown sprint, set up by Day's 18-yard scramble on 3rd-and-8 two plays prior.

Standout defensive stops by Cougars senior defensive linemen Rob Burton and Chad Grimm on second and third down, respectively, on the ensuing Rams possession allowed Oakton's special teams a game-changing opportunity for the second time in eight days. Last week, Cougars senior defensive back Terry Kimener's blocked punt and touchdown return led to a 17-0 region semifinal win over host Westfield.

Saturday, it was Grimm who blasted through the middle of Robinson's line to block Kinzer's punt. Cooke recovered it before stumbling the final few yards for a touchdown and a 19-14 lead with 6:09 left in the first half.

The third quarter opened under heavy rain and the teams traded empty possessions as they battled suspect footing and a slick football. Robinson punted from deep in its own territory, giving the Cougars possession at the Rams 46.

Oakton senior running back Mike Baggetta (nine carries for 31 yards) ran for 16 yards on 3rd-and-5 and seven plays later, Day's 2-yard jaunt gave the Cougars a 25-14 lead with 1:30 left in the third quarter.

But Oakton's penchant this season for miscues at inopportune times again surfaced. In previous losses to Centreville and Westfield, Oakton fumbles set up the opposition's game-winning scores. And Saturday, when Day turned to pitch the ball to Pettiford on a fourth-quarter option play, disaster struck. The ball never reached Pettiford (seven carries 79 yards) and Robinson senior defensive tackle Brent Jones pounced on it at the Rams 44.

``I was looking at the option and I pitched," Day said. ``I saw the ball just flop right out of my hand, just slide right out."

Day wasn't the only one. On the Oakton sideline, Cougars coach Pete Bendorf saw the game's script taking a familiar and painful turn. While the Cougars defense held and Oakton regained possession, Day fumbled again on second down, and Rams senior defensive end Nick Hermandorfer recovered at the Cougars 25-yard line with 7:48 left in the fourth quarter.

``Briefly, that exact thought went across my mind: Here we go again," Bendorf said. ``But I turned to my offensive coaches and said, `We're not done. Let's keep playing and see what happens.'" Five plays later, Rams junior running back Aaron Richards ran off right tackle from 4 yards out to trim Oakton's lead, and Anastasio's two-point conversion run made it 25-22.

After Oakton's offense failed to pick up a first down, Robinson took over at its own 43 and wasted little time. Hartigan (8-for-13 passing, 135 yards, two touchdowns) dropped back on first down and fired a strike to the right sideline intended for Anastasio, who was tightly covered by Day. Anastasio fought through the blanket coverage, hauled in the ball and somehow kept his feet as Day fell to the ground. Anastasio turned and bolted toward the end zone. Day laid on the wet field, watching Anastasio and Oakton's title hopes get further and further away.

``That was phenomenal catch," Day said. ``I don't know how [Anastasio] did it." Day's slow walk across the field to the Cougar sideline, eyes planted firmly on the turf, told the story. Oakton had come so close, but the title banner would again find its way into Robinson's field house; or so the approximately 6,000 in attendance thought.

Time still remained.

With 3:31 left to salvage their season, Day and the Cougars offense took over at their own 28 in need of a touchdown. But even those wearing white, or what was once white, had their doubts.

``I thought we were done," Prentice said. ``Our 2-minute offense hasn't done anything the whole year. But we've worked on it a lot in practice and it finally came through in the biggest game we've ever played in so it was a good thing for us."

Day hit Prentice in the left flat for a 9-yard gain on first down but the ensuing incompletion and ineffective run made it 4th-and-1 at the Oakton 37. Day kept the drive and Oakton alive by rushing for 5 yards over center to gain a fresh set of downs.

A Robinson facemask penalty set up 2nd-and-5 at the Oakton 47. Day lofted a perfect pass to Phipps, the slot receiver, who caught it in stride before being dragged down at the Robinson 25.

Day's first down pass then fell incomplete. When he dropped back on second down and gazed up field at closely covered Cougars receivers, another incompletion seemed likely.

But Day scooted through the pocket and found open field as he darted into the Rams secondary. He sprinted for the left pylon at the front corner of the end zone with three Rams defenders bearing down on him. Day went airborne for the last few yards, attempting to extend the ball across the goal line.

A brief hush came over the crowd in anticipation of the referee's determination: touchdown or not?

The referee stepped towards Day, and following a slight dramatic pause, thrust his arms skyward signifying the score. That sent the Cougars sideline and standing-room-only visitors section crowd into hysterics.

``About two weeks ago, Pat Day and Danny Prentice just decided we're not losing anymore, no matter what the situation," Bendorf said. ``I think you saw that on our last drive. Pat's not a great throwing quarterback but he was just determined to get our offense into the end zone at the end of the game."

Robinson had one last possession but Hartigan's desperation fourth-down pass to Anastasio fell incomplete, touching off a midfield Cougars celebration unparalleled in their program's history.

Bendorf accepted congratulations from his wife and parents, school administrators, players' parents and former players. Clutching the region title trophy, he praised his former players for laying the foundation of Oakton's region title run.

``All those guys that came and shook my hand at the end of the game were my former players. That's why I coach and that's what it's all about for me," Bendorf said. ``I'm just happy to be a part of it and happy they all could share in it. This is a tribute to all the [Oakton] teams that have gone before, as well."

It was also Pete Bendorf's second - and obviously most important - win in six tries against older brother Mark Bendorf, Robinson's head coach. Last season, Pete Bendorf had to congratulate his brother after Robinson's region semifinal win over Oakton ended the Cougars' season.

Saturday, it was Mark Bendorf's turn.

``It feels better being on the other side," Mark Bendorf said. ``But I'm real proud of Pete and the effort his team put forth. They did what they had to do to win the game."

The loss also ended a storied four-year stretch for Robinson's seniors that saw them compile a 42-6 record, including three consecutive Patriot District titles, a region and state title. But their gaudy career achievements won't be savored until the sting of Saturday's loss subsides.

After the game, a line of teary-eyed players turning in their equipment outside the home locker room was symbolic of the season's abrupt closure.

``It's hard because we went through this in 2000 when we lost to Centreville in the region title game on our home field," Robinson senior All-Journal linebacker Blake Shubert said. ``We promised ourselves we'd never go through this feeling again and it's kind of just like another nightmare."

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.