South Lakes improves to 2-0
Steve Klimek
Journal Correspondent
September 17, 2002

Garrett Gray isn't an unknown anymore.

The South Lakes junior wide receiver didn't stand out last season, as Bobby Burns was quarterback Dan Cidone's primary target. According to Cidone, Gray was "a little nervous'' playing on the varsity team last year.

So when asked about Gray Friday night at Lee, Lancers coach Gerry Pannoni couldn't really say much.

"I don't even know the kid's name,'' Pannoni said after Gray hauled in six receptions for 150 yards and two touchdowns during the Seahawks' 24-6 win over Lee.

Gray improved his skills immensely with some work at the Reston-based Explosive Performance speed camp last summer. He improved his 40-yard dash and start times, and added six inches to his vertical leap, which now stands at 31 inches. That, combined with his 6-foot frame and long arms, made defending him very difficult Friday night.

In a Week 1 win over Yorktown, according to Gray, Cidone put too much on his throws and overshot the junior on several occasions. Gray, believing he could fend off defensive backs for the ball, told Cidone to loft the ball against Lee.

"I told him to get a little more air on it, and I would go up and get it over the corner,'' Gray said.

When Gray saw 5-7 cornerback Dustin Bennett defending him Friday, he let Cidone know about it. In the first quarter, on a 3rd-and-8 play from the Seahawk 46-yard line, Bennett had a step on Gray when the latter was running a go route. But Cidone underthrew Gray, who made the adjustment and caught the ball at the Lee 25. Then Gray got past Bennett and sprinted into the end zone.

"I told Dan before the game that the corner was two feet shorter than I was,'' Gray said.

On his second touchdown grab - a 24-yard strike in the third quarter - Gray outjumped another Lee defensive back at the Lancers 10 before taking the ball into the end zone.

"He's the best athlete on the team,'' Cidone said of Gray. "Mark my words, he'll get recognized as the best wide receiver in the region.

" He's just incredible. He's willing to do anything for the ball. He's just ball-hungry.''

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.