Mellies shows he's the man
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
September 16, 2002

If there was any doubt who No. 2 Centreville's on-field leader was prior to Friday, it was erased in a thrilling come-from-behind victory over No. 6 West Springfield.

On Friday the 13th, it was No. 13 - senior quarterback Dan Mellies - who stepped to the forefront when the Wildcats needed him most as they eked out a 38-31 overtime win.

Trailing by a touchdown late in the fourth quarter, Mellies and the Wildcats offense took the field in desperate need of the tying score. While Mellies had connected with junior flanker Daniel Bailey on an 80-yard score in the second quarter, Centreville struggled constructing consistent drives all night through the air or on the ground.

But Mellies orchestrated a beautiful drive, repeatedly taking what the Spartans defense allowed. His pinpoint accuracy under extreme pressure helped Centreville convert crucial third downs. And his bootleg run around left end set up Wildcats fullback Greg Simon's game-tying 2-yard touchdown plunge with just over a minute left.

With Centreville's fate in his hands, Mellies produced despite having little late-game experience. ``I proved more to myself tonight than I ever have - I didn't know I could do that," Mellies said. ``I've never been put in a situation like that. Freshman and JV we killed everybody, and last year I had limited playing time. This year, it's on my shoulders and I didn't know how I was going to react."

For the game's opening coin toss, Mellies was one of four Centreville captains at midfield. But for the overtime coin toss, Mellies made the walk to midfield by himself.

And it was not by accident.

``I wanted everybody to know who our leader was," Centreville coach Mike Skinner said. ``That's why I sent [Mellies] out. I needed everybody - the crowd, the kids - to see that, `Hey, Mellies is going to take us either to a win or to a loss.'

``I don't think I've seen a quarterback play that well in a long time. He just made every play he had to make."

Centreville's switch on offense this season from the single wing to a pro-style set occurred because the coaching staff wanted the ball spread among talented skill players such as Bailey, wide receiver Stephen Tate and tailback Richard Taylor. But without a confident and consistent quarterback, the change in style would e fruitless. After passing for just 32 yards in a season-opening win over Lake Braddock, Mellies showed himself and his teammates Friday he was up to the challenge, completing 9-of-15 passes for 157 yards.

``Mellies really stepped it up," said Bailey, who had eight receptions for 110 yards and a score. ``The last game [against Lake Braddock] he was kind of shallow, but he really proved that he was a real leader this game. It's very important to have a quarterback who's a leader because the quarterback is the soul of the team. It was a real test for [Mellies] tonight, but he proved himself."

Afterwards, Mellies had trouble wiping the smile from his face. It was a problem he planned on battling for a while.

``I'm not going to be able to go to bed tonight," Mellies said. ``I've never felt like this before in my life. That was the most fun I've ever had playing in a football game. I don't think I'll ever be able to top this, honestly."

WEST SPRINGFIELD

The Spartans said it was a statement game.

Though West Springfield boarded its bus headed for home with a loss, all in attendance at Centreville Friday night saw the Spartans' capabability of trading punches with the region's elite.

``We wanted to show that we could be a physically tough football team," West Springfield coach Bill Renner said. ``Do I think we accomplished that? Sure. We're not happy we didn't execute the last three or four minutes of the game and the overtime period to win ... but I think it was extremely important we establish ourselves as a physically tough football team, and I think we did tonight."

West Springfield's offensive line put on a vintage display. Senior tackles Marshall Ausberry and John Massie helped the Spartans to four rushing touchdowns and over 300 yards on the ground.

``I've got two Division I tackles," Renner said. ``And I'm going to tell you what, you'll see Ausberry in the NFL. That boy is that good. Our offensive line did a tremendous job."

It was also running back Derrick Braziel's coming out party. The junior and first-year starter's 200 rushing yards was the best individual performance against Centreville since Week 9 of the 1996 season, when Stuart's Fred Boateng amassed 220.

West Springfield overcame an early 10-point deficit to tie the game on flanker Sean Navin's 56-yard touchdown scamper. Again, the Spartans fell behind, this time by 14 points. But they stormed back after halftime to take a 31-24 lead.

And prior to Centreville's late, game-tying score, the Spartans controlled the line of scrimmage in the second half - a rare sight during Centreville's run of success over the last five years.

``They hit us in the mouth a little bit and we're not used to that," Skinner said. ``They were very well-coached. They took advantage of some of the things we do well on defense and it hurt us."

T.C. WILLIAMS

The Titans ended a 12-game losing streak - the longest in school history - with a 20-13 home win over No. 10 Mount Vernon Saturday.

Running back Tony Hunt rushed 24 times for 176 yards, the second-highest total of his career. The senior had a 42-yard touchdown run and added a 75-yard touchdown reception.

Hunt also had two interceptions, as did senior Terrell Stephens, who stymied Mount Vernon's late scoring threat with his second pick on the Titans 10-yard line as time expired.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.