Spartans gun for top tier
Dan Rubin
Journal Staff Writer
September 13, 2002

The Northern Region's top tier is far from crowded. Centreville and Robinson are the only tenants. Between them, the Wildcats and Rams own the last two Group AAA, Division 6 state titles and last five region titles.

It's a tough tier. But West Springfield wants in.

The Spartans went 6-3 last year and finished second in the Patriot District, their best season since 1993. However, the losses came against the three teams on their schedule that ultimately earned playoff bids: Robinson, Hayfield and Oakton.

That won't cut it in the top tier.

Tonight, No. 6 West Springfield (1-0) travels to No. 2 Centreville (1-0). A win would earn the Spartans contender status.

``I believe it's a statement game for us," Spartans senior quarterback Matt Smith said. ``We're really looking to breakthrough, make an impression and show people what we're really about."

It won't be easy for West Springfield. Centreville is 22-2 since Week 1 of the 2000 season and both losses were to Robinson. Plus, the Wildcats are used to being circled on their opponents schedule.

``This game is probably going to pinpoint where [West Springfield's] program is going," Wildcats junior flanker Daniel Bailey said. ``It's like it was last year, to me. We're the big game for every team."

When Bill Renner came from Langley to take over as West Springfield's coach four years ago, the groundwork for a return to respectability began. There is only one true way into the top tier, and Centreville coach Mike Skinner and Robinson coach Mark Bendorf will attest to it: offseason dedication. Endless hours in the weight room and on the track. That commitment is not formed overnight.

``We were out here all summer lifting, running and doing the things it takes to get better," Smith said. ``When I was a freshman, we weren't doing that stuff. And then sophomore, junior and senior year it's kind of gradually built up. I think with it, there's been a direct correlation to our program's success, as well."

In order for the Spartans to have a chance tonight, they must match Centreville's strength and swagger. The Wildcats defense is led by a pair of seniors: two-way lineman Tom Murphy and inside linebacker Brett Warren, who verbally committed to Virginia Tech last weekend. In Week 1, Centreville limited Lake Braddock to two first downs and 27 yards of offense.

The Wildcats rushed for 232 yards against the Bruins, including 158 by junior running back Richard Taylor. But the key to Centreville's attack is a veteran offensive line, which features five seniors.

``This is the game that the offensive and defensive lines have kind of circled because we know that [West Springfield] has got the biggest guys around and they're going to be the toughest challenge for us this year," said All-Journal and Virginia Tech-bound tackle Matt Welsh. ``We didn't get to play them last year and we've heard how great they were and that they really wanted to play us so we've got something to prove against them, as well."

The Spartans' size up front on offense includes senior bookend tackles: 335-pound Marshall Ausberry, who is headed to Virginia, and 280-pound John Massie. Senior defensive end Mike Watson and Syracuse-bound middle linebacker Tony Jenkins, a converted defensive tackle, anchor the defense.

``As long as we keep hitting just as hard at the end of the game as we did at the beginning, I think we should be able to pull it out at the end," Jenkins said. ``We feel that we can hang with almost any team so we want to show people that we can. I guess we do kind of have something to prove to people."

West Springfield would make believers of many with a win tonight. The chance to turn heads and battle for top-tier admission was a goal set four years ago when Renner and his staff arrived on Rolling Road.

``There's more bounty for the winner in this game," Renner said. ``We realize that. When we got here, we wanted to be in a position to go for more bounty. So we're happy to have the opportunity to do that. Are we ready? We'll see [tonight]."

Game Notes: Centreville and West Springfield have met 11 times and the Wildcats lead the series, 9-2. Centreville has won six in a row and in the last two meetings, outscored the Spartans by a combined 62-0. West Springfield's last win was in 1993.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.