Major Upset
Joe Ferraro
Joural Staff Writer
September 5, 2002

After being interviewed near a boisterous Mount Vernon locker room Thursday night, Majors tight end Justin Bell peeked his head into the football coaches office and demanded probably the most coveted souvenir from a historic day.

``Hey Coach, I want that game ball,'' Bell told an assistant coach, moments after he scored the go-ahead touchdown on a 40-yard pass from quarterback Chris Spencer with 6 minutes, 43 seconds left in the game, giving Mount Vernon a 27-20 win over neighborhood-rival West Potomac - its first over the Wolverines since 1986.

On the play, Bell ran a go route, hauled in Spencer's pass near the 25-yard line, ran over two West Potomac players and sprinted the rest of the way for the decisive score.

``I saw three people and the school,'' said Bell, ``and I kept running to the school.''

Mount Vernon running back Mario Coleman might get used to a route to the end zone the next three years.

West Potomac's Marcus Harrington scored the game's first two touchdowns, returning the opening kickoff 80 yards for one and scoring on a 6-yard scamper with 5:27 left in the first quarter.

Then Coleman scored the next three touchdowns, as Mount Vernon took a 20-14 lead.

On his last score, Coleman ran toward the middle of the West Potomac line and was knocked back about 10 yards. He eluded the grasp of two defenders near the Wolverine 45, then ran down the left sideline for a 35-yard touchdown run with 9:06 left in the third quarter. He also scored on a 6-yard pass and a 25-yard run.

He finished with 118 yards on 12 carries.

``I don't know what to say I'm so excited,'' said Coleman, who played on the freshman team and watched as Thomas Clayton, now at Florida State, led the Majors to a Northern Region Division 5 title.

Mount Vernon coach Jody Stone called Coleman his best-kept secret.

``We knew we had something special,'' Stone said.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.