Oakton foils Westfield's region bid
John Keim
Journal Staff Writer
May 16, 2002

A runner stood on third, 90 feet from a trip to the Northern Region tournament. There were two outs. And the count on Oakton's Jon Hansen was full.

All of which made Hansen smile. It was exactly the scenario he craved.

2002 Northern Region Baseball Brackets
Northern Virginia Coach's Top 10

He then delivered the result he wanted even more.

Hansen's deep single to right scored Jared Kubin, giving host Oakton a 5-4 win over Westfield in a Concorde District quarterfinal game on Wednesday night. Third-seeded Oakton plays No. 2 Centreville at 7:30 p.m. Friday at South Lakes. The Cougars also clinched a spot in the region tournament.

Westfield's season ends at 13-9. Oakton's Stewart Maestas, who pitched a perfect seventh, picked up the win in relief. But starter Brian Beatty more than did his job, tossing a four-hitter in six innings and allowing only one earned run.

The Bulldogs nearly escaped a jam in the seventh when Kubin reached on a fielding error, took second on a bunt and stole third with one out. After a strikeout, Westfield brought in reliever Ryan Stephens. As he warmed up, Hansen smiled, knowing he had a chance to end the game.

But it wasn't easy. Westfield right fielder Chris McGough, who started the inning on the mound, quickly backpedaled on his deep fly, turning and reaching high for the ball and catching it. However, just as the ball settled in his glove, McGough slammed into the fence, jarring the ball free.

``It's unbelievable,'' said Hansen, a senior catcher. ``I had a feeling about this. Before the season I told Coach [Scott] Rowland that I wanted to be the guy up at bat to win the game.''

Winning late is nothing new for Oakton (12-7-1), the two-time defending region champions and 2000 state titlist. The Cougars have made seventh-inning rallies seem routine the past two postseasons.

Their late-inning magic actually began in the fifth on Wednesday. Trailing 3-1 with two outs and a runner on second, Kubin ripped a pitch over the center field fence, his fifth homer of the season.

``I was just trying to put the ball in play,'' said Kubin, a sophomore first baseman. ``I was running for a double, then I heard the crowd and realized it was out.''

But Westfield answered in the top of the sixth when Jason Bour homered to left. Once more Oakton answered. This time, Hansen led off with a walk against starter Louis Ullrich, who worked 4 2/3 innings.

With two outs, David Miller sent a shot down the third-base line. Matt Harvey made a nice diving stop, but a throwing error enabled courtesy runner Steve Frazier to score.

And the Oakton magic continued.

``It means a lot to have been there before,'' Westfield coach Chuck Welch said. ``They certainly had an advantage on us in that situation. But I don't see us as losing this game. Oakton just won it. The thing that impressed me is that we battled.''

The Bulldogs had the edge early in the game. In the first, Kubin drove in Miller with a single to right. On the same play, Chris Parker tried to score from second but Brandon Snyder's relay throw from Todd Stanton nailed him at the plate.

In the fourth, a failed squeeze attempt should have spoiled a Westfield rally. But it didn't. Instead, the runner retreated back to third and reached safely as Oakton botched the play. The next batter, Rob Ellis, drove in Ullrich, who doubled, with a sacrifice fly. Mike Forkin followed with an RBI single.

But Beatty was able to control the Bulldogs for much of the night. He had been removed from the starting rotation two weeks ago. In that time, he worked on a new delivery, making it more deceptive. And he waited for his chance.

On Sunday, Rowland decided Beatty would start this game. Beatty worked best against the top of Westfield's lineup. The first through fourth hitters went a combined 1-for-9 against Beatty, who worked inside and kept hitters off-balance with his curve.

``He was fantastic,'' Rowland said. ``He never pouted that he had lost his spot and kept working and was still a good teammate. It paid off.''

Beatty said, ``It was very hard to sit on the bench, but it was for the best of the team. [Rowland] always said when your time is called, you bear down and you have to be ready. I just waited for my turn and when I got it, I took full advantage.''

Just like Oakton did when it came to the late innings. And it came against a good team. Though Westfield finished sixth in the district with a 5-7 mark, the second-year Bulldogs, who lose only three starters, are a team on the rise. Rowland called them a top-10 team in the region.

But they'll be at home and Oakton won't. The Cougars' past deserves an assist for that. ``It does help,'' Rowland said. ``They never thought that they didn't have a chance.''

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.