Edison sweeps Mount Vernon
Joe Ferraro
Journal Staff Writer
April 25, 2002

Coming off a dramatic, come-from-behind win at Hayfield Saturday, Edison entered Wednesday's National District showdown against Mount Vernon with an air of invincibility.

Senior Katrina Moore said the undefeated Eagles are playing as if ``nobody can stop us."

Edison displayed that confidence when, down 6-4 to the Majors with two out and nobody on in the fourth inning, it took the lead by scoring three runs and cruised to a 10-6 win.

The victory gave Edison (8-0, 7-0) a sweep of the regular-season series with the Majors, who fell to 6-7, 5-2.

``If we get runners on base, we're going to get them around," Edison coach John Dooley said.

Edison's No. 9 hitter, Adina Gee, started the decisive fourth-inning rally by drawing a two-out walk. Then speedy leadoff hitter Tasha Watts laid down a bunt single, moving Gee to third. Moore plated Watts with an RBI single, and Kristen Cusick took an outside pitch by Brooke Sorber and drilled it to the right-center field gap for a two-run double.

``She'd been throwing outside all game," Cusick said. ``I was looking for it, I saw it, and I hit it."

The Eagles put the game away in the fifth inning by scoring three unearned runs. Edison took advantage of three Mount Vernon errors in the frame. Majors coach Dan Coast, who starts five sophomores, said the Mount Vernon miscues were a case of sophomores making sophomore mistakes.

In the third inning, Edison ended up scoring two more two-out runs on a passed ball.

``Edison is so quick on the bases and so smart on the bases, you can't give them anything," Coast said.

But Dooley believes his team's speed and ability to bunt puts pressure on opponents and forces a few errors. The Eagles had seven stolen bases Wednesday as Watts, Cusick and cleanup hitter Holly Dodson each swiped two. ``The fact that we've got two outs, and we're willing to bunt the ball, is really hard to guard against," Dooley said.

Prior to Edison's decisive three-run rally, Mount Vernon scored three runs of its own with two outs in the top of the fourth, getting RBI doubles from Kristina Garrison and Sorber, and an RBI single from K.C. Gulino. Sorber went 2-for-4 with three RBI.

But freshman pitcher Autumn Strawderman settled down thereafter, retiring nine of the last 10 batters she faced.

At this point, Dooley is guarding against overconfidence. After the game, Coast jokingly reminded Dooley of last year, when the Majors lost both regular-season games before defeating the Eagles in the district tournament final.

``I told them before we got on the field, `Right now were sitting on top of the hill,' " Dooley said.

``And somebody is going to try and knock us down."

NOTES

Edison held a special ceremony to honor Andy Blount, who coached the team the previous 21 years and led the Eagles to four National District titles. On April 11, Edison's softball field was named Andy Blount Field.

Blount, who retired after teaching at the Alexandria school for 25 years, attended the game and received a plaque for his service at Edison. He ran into several former players and parents of those players. One of them, Debbie Sutterfield, played for Blount in 1982.

``I'm just thrilled and excited,'' Blount said. ``I didn't feel like I did anything to deserve this.''

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.