Tim Howard - The Soccer Shot Stops Here
NY/NJ Metro Stars
April 9, 2002

The goalkeeper's position is the most unique in soccer. We run around the least and use our hands the most. Because playing goalkeeper is different from playing any other position on the soccer field, it requires a different kind of preparation. Here are some suggestions for developing the skills you need to be a great goalie.

The more touches, the better

You need sure hands to stop goals, and sure hands come from stopping shots over and over again. All you need is a back yard, one ball and one friend. You don't even need a real goal. Your friend shoots, 20, 50, 100 times - and you get your hands on as many of these balls as possible. I did this every day when I was a kid.

No fear

Every goalkeeper has to overcome the fear of facing hard shots from close range. This ability comes with experience and also from having the right attitude. The more hard shots you handle and live to tell about, the more comfortable you will feel handling the next one. But you can speed up the process by telling yourself each time, "I'm not afraid!" Pretend you're angry at the ball. Scowl at it. Try to make the ball afraid of you!

Work on angles

As a goalkeeper, you can't catch or block a shot unless you're in the right place to catch or block it. This is where angles come in. Every goalkeeper must work to develop a sense for how to position himself or herself in different situations. It's all about giving shooters the smallest possible target and putting your body where the shot is most likely to go. A potion of each practice should be devoted to taking shots from different angles so you can develop this important sense.

Practice set plays

In soccer, most goals are scored on set plays - corner kicks and penalty kicks. The goaltender becomes the leader of his or her team when defending against set plays. You need your own plan to counter your opponents' plan. For this reason, make sure your coach gives you plenty of time to practice defending against set plays, so you can learn to become a leader on the field.

Keep your energy levels up

Goalkeepers depend on consistent energy levels for quick reaction time and good judgement. For this reason, it's important to use a sports drink during every practice and game. Water isn't ideal, because it provides no energy. For quick and lasting energy, you need the fast-acting carbohydrates found in a good sports drink. My drink of choice is Accelerade. It has a small amount of protein, which has been shown to deliver carbohydrate to the muscles and brain even faster.

Tim Howard plays goalkeeper for the MetroStars and the U.S. National Team. A native of North Brunswick, N.J., Howard was named Major League Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year in 2001.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.