Tim Howard - The Best Drill for Every Soccer Skill
NY/NJ Metro Stars
April 9, 2002

In the many years I've been playing soccer, I've done more different kinds of drills than I can remember. Some have helped me more than others. Here are my all-time favorites fro dribbling, passing, trapping, shooting, and ball control.

Dribbling

Set up a slalom course of 8-10 cones. The idea is to dribble with the instep of your foot around the cones, cutting with the insides of the feet. When you do drills that deal with dribbling, the most important thing to focus on is control, not speed. As you get better, you can try it quicker and you can use the outside of your foot to make the turns.

Passing and Trapping

Divide four players into two teams. Place two cones 20 yards apart. One player from each team stands at either cone, so you have a pair of opponents at both cones. One side starts with the ball and the idea is to strike the ball in the air to your teammate, who has to trap the ball closest to the cone. Your opponent cannot interfere. After marking the spot where your team made the trap, the other team tries to beat you by putting it inside of where your ball is.

Shooting and Volleying

Stand facing the goal about 20 yards away and then have a partner (who stands behind you) throw the ball over your head. Kick the ball after it has bounced. Make sure you keep your toes pointed down so you will not shoot it over the goal, and use the laces of your shoe.

Ball Control

When I was a youth player, the best advice I got was to practice my juggling. It's a great way for you to learn how the ball reacts to different touches and surfaces. For example, the ball bounces differently when you use your thigh than when you use your foot. At first, juggle just using your feet and see how many you can do, then juggle using just your thighs, and so on. I found the toughest to be my head. When you use your head for juggling, make sure to use your forehead and not the top of your head. Now, when you have practiced on each individual part f your body, try and get as many juggles as possible using all of them together.

Tim Howard plays goalkeeper for the MetroStars and the U.S. National Team. A native of North Brunswick, N.J., Howard was named Major League Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year in 2001.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.