Road to the Title
Bill Nettles

November 16 2000

The road to the title has a most unique character. The closer you get to its end, the rougher the surface becomes. You might say that this road is always under construction. Regardless of who wins the Presidential Election, don't look for any money to be appropriated for any repairs to its surface. Politicians would call expenditures to improve its condition a "Pork Barrel Project." That enough for politics now lets move on to the task at hand and that is examining the remainder of the playoff picture.

Every week during the post season there seems to be surprises. But then again, that is why we watch them. Regardless of who we think is supposed to win, it seems that something else occurs. There is no better place to point this out than the Central Region Division 6 Semifinal competition. Both the number 1 and 2 seeds lost. Mills Godwin lost to number 4 seed L.C. Bird 21-15 while number 3 seed Varina bumped off James River 19-13. That puts the most improbable contest between Varina, seeded number 3, playing host to number 4 seeded L.C.Bird. Please keep in mind that Division 6 competition here was tough. Remember that Patrick Henry who went 9-1 and is a very good team did not qualify for post season play. The final between these two 10-1 teams should be great. Division 5 was more mundane. Both the 1 and 2 seeds won and that will set up the Regional Championship game between the 10-1 Dinwiddie Generals and the 8-3 Blue Devils of Hopewell in what I think will be a good game.

In the Eastern Region, things went pretty much as expected. Division 6 had the two undefeated teams winning big and they will face each other Friday night at Kellam High School. It will be the Bayside Marlins playing host to the Hornets of Deep Creek High School. Both teams have 11-0 records. In the Division 5 Regional final it will be 2 teams who faced each other during the regular season. The crowd that came to Todd Stadium to watch that contest numbered almost 11,000. I expect that to be the same this time around. The undefeated Heritage Hurricanes will play host to the 10-1 Hampton Crabbers. I will leave it to your imagination as to who gave the Crabbers the one in the right side column. These game congers up all kinds of thoughts. The Crabbers are not as good as they have been in years past. But, this time of year is when they peak. Last week the Hurricanes came out tight. They committed more errors than they did during all of their regular season games. If they come out like this, this weekend, they will probably find themselves in a lot of hot water. Hampton has been steadily improving. Heritage has, what I think, overall better talent. If you are a betting person, I need to pass on this bit of information. Don't bet against the Crabbers. This is the game I will announce this week and I am looking forward to it.

In the Northwestern Region, sanity prevailed. In both Divisions 5 and 6 the top seeds came through. In the Division 6 Regional finals it will be the top seeded 11-0 Potomac Panthers playing host to the 10-1 Bulldogs of C.D. Hylton. Division 5 will have the undefeated Blue Devils of Culpepper County playing host to the 10-1 Cougars of Pulaski County. A lot of people are asking if Culpepper can repeat as Division 5 Champions. This game will give us an answer. The Blue Devils have not had a test all year. They will get one this week. This is a game I will keep track of Friday night. If you get the chance, go see this one.

More Stories

Copyright and Disclaimer ©1998-2007 DigitalSports, Inc.